The Fafnir® brand of bearings traces its founding as “The Fafnir Bearing Company” in New Britain, Connecticut back in 1911. Founder Howard S. Hart started the company based upon the need at that time for less expensive alternatives to English and German made ball bearings. Since 1911, the Fafnir brand of ball bearings has been owned by a quite a number of companies including Textron, Inc., The Torrington Company (which was owned by Ingersoll Rand), and The Timken Company.
Fafnir Ball Bearing Product Range
Today, Fafnir is best known for the following categories of precision ball bearings:
- Fafnir Angular Contact (Ball Bearings Fafnir Survivor Corrosion Resistant Group)
- Fafnir Ceramic Hybrid Ball Bearings
- Fafnir Mounted Bearings
- Fafnir Pillow Block Bearings
- Fafnir Radial Ball Bearings
- Fafnir Wide Inner Ring Ball Bearings
- Fafnir Bearings are used in a wide array of industries worldwide including: agriculture, textiles, food and beverage, paper and steel mills and automotive. Customers rely on the Fafnir brand for a high qualaity product, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, to meet their industrial application requirements.
- Fafnir Super Precision Ball Bearings
Fafnir super precision ball bearings are designed to meet demanding machine tool requirements for high speeds, accuracy and rigidity. These bearings are available manufactured to ABEC-7 and ABEC-9 tolerances, the most precise tolerances recognized by the ball bearing industry. Most Fafnir super precision ball bearings have contact angles of 15° or 25° for different combinations of radial and axial loads. Special raceway finishes and ball bearing designs achieve the highest possible operating speeds. Hybrid ceramic bearings are available with steel rings and ceramic balls for special applications involving high speeds and other demanding requirements. Fafnir Ballscrew support bearings are supplied in sets with 60° contact angles and a maximum ball complement for the high capacity and axial rigidity required for the most precise tool positioning.
- Fafnir Ceramic Ball BearingsFafnir Ceramic Hybrid Bearings
Timken® Fafnir® hybrid ball bearings combine ceramic rolling elements with superfinished steel rings. This “hybrid” combination provides superior ceramic performance at a cost-effective price. This design also enables ceramic bearings to deliver outstanding service life and operating characteristics at high spindle speeds.
- Fafnir Housed Units
Timken® Fafnir® housed units are a necessity for tough agricultural applications where tough conditions include crop dust, debris and other contaminants. Timken Fafnir is found in a wide array of agriculture applications. Each bearing is designed with the same idea in mind – to maximize performance. The wide inner ring design, still preferred in farm equipment applications, provides customers with a product that is easily mounted on straight shafts and positioned without shoulders, locknuts or adapters.